Pronunciation: (di-tûr"mu-nā'shun),[key] —n. 1. the act of coming to a decision or of fixing or settling a purpose.
2. ascertainment, as after observation or investigation: determination of a ship's latitude. 3. the information ascertained; solution.
4. the settlement of a dispute, question, etc., as by authoritative decision.
5. the decision or settlement arrived at or pronounced.
6. the quality of being resolute; firmness of purpose.
7. a fixed purpose or intention: It is my determination to suppress vice. 8. the fixing or settling of amount, limit, character, etc.: the determination of a child's allowance. 9. fixed direction or tendency toward some object or end.
10. Chiefly Law.conclusion or termination.
11. Embryol.the fixation of the fate of a cell or group of cells, esp. before actual morphological or functional differentiation occurs.
12. Logic. a. the act of rendering a notion more precise by the addition of differentiating characteristics.
b. the definition of a concept in terms of its constituent elements.