Pronunciation: (dī),[key] —v.i.,died, dy•ing. 1. to cease to live; undergo the complete and permanent cessation of all vital functions; become dead.
2. (of something inanimate) to cease to exist: The laughter died on his lips. 3. to lose force, strength, or active qualities: Superstitions die slowly. 4. to cease to function; stop: The motor died. 5. to be no longer subject; become indifferent: to die to worldly matters. 6. to pass gradually; fade or subside gradually (usually fol. by away, out, or down): The storm slowly died down. 7. Theol.to lose spiritual life.
8. to faint or languish.
9. to suffer as if fatally: I'm dying of boredom! 10. to pine with desire, love, longing, etc.: I'm dying to see my home again. 11. to desire or want keenly or greatly: I'm dying for a cup of coffee. 12. die away, (of a sound) to become weaker or fainter and then cease: The hoofbeats gradually died away. 13. die down, to become calm or quiet; subside.
14. die hard, a. to die only after a bitter struggle.
b. to give way or surrender slowly or with difficulty: Childhood beliefs die hard. 15. die off, to die one after another until the number is greatly reduced: Her friends are dying off. 16. die out, a. to cease to exist; become extinct: Both lines of the family died out before the turn of the century. b. to die away; fade; subside: The roar of the engines died out as the rocket vanished into the clouds. 17. die standing up,Theat.(of a performance) to be received with silence rather than applause.
18. never say die, never give up hope; never abandon one's efforts.
19. to die for, stunning; remarkable: that dress is to die for.
—n. 1. Mach. a. any of various devices for cutting or forming material in a press or a stamping or forging machine.
b. a hollow device of steel, often composed of several pieces to be fitted into a stock, for cutting the threads of bolts or the like.
c. one of the separate pieces of such a device.
d. a steel block or plate with small conical holes through which wire, plastic rods, etc., are drawn.
2. an engraved stamp for impressing a design upon some softer material, as in coining money.
3. sing. of dice. 4. Archit.dado (def. 1).
5. the die is cast, the irrevocable decision has been made; fate has taken charge: The die is cast--I can't turn back.