Pronunciation: (di-strib'yOOt),[key] —v.t.,-ut•ed, -ut•ing. 1. to divide and give out in shares; deal out; allot.
2. to disperse through a space or over an area; spread; scatter.
3. to promote, sell, and ship or deliver (an item or line of merchandise) to individual customers, esp. in a specified region or area.
4. to pass out or deliver (mail, newspapers, etc.) to intended recipients.
5. to divide into distinct phases: The process was distributed into three stages. 6. to divide into classes: These plants are distributed into 22 classes. 7. Logic.to employ (a term) in a proposition so as to refer to all individuals denoted by the term.
8. Physical Chem.to dissolve uniformly in a solvent consisting of layers of immiscible or partially miscible substances.
9. Print. a. to roll out (ink) on the table to attain the proper consistency.
b. to return (type) to the proper place after printing.