Pronunciation: (di-van', -vän' or, esp. for 1, dī'van),[key] —n. 1. a sofa or couch, usually without arms or back, often usable as a bed.
2. a long, cushioned seat, usually without arms or back, placed against a wall, as in Oriental countries.
3. a council of state in Turkey and other countries of the Middle East.
4. any council, committee, or commission.
5. (in the Middle East)
a. a council chamber, judgment hall, audience chamber, or bureau of state.
b. a large building used for some official or public purpose, as a custom house.
6. a smoking room, as in connection with a tobacco shop.
7. a collection of poems, esp. a collection in Arabic or Persian of poems by one poet.
Pronunciation: (di-van'),[key] —adj.(esp. of chicken or turkey breast)
sliced and baked in a casserole with broccoli and hollandaise sauce.