—adj. 1. of or pertaining to a god, esp. the Supreme Being.
2. addressed, appropriated, or devoted to God or a god; religious; sacred: divine worship. 3. proceeding from God or a god: divine laws. 4. godlike; characteristic of or befitting a deity: divine magnanimity. 5. heavenly; celestial: the divine kingdom. 6. Informal.extremely good; unusually lovely: He has the most divine tenor voice. 7. being a god; being God: a divine person. 8. of superhuman or surpassing excellence: Beauty is divine. 9. Obs.of or pertaining to divinity or theology.
—n. 1. a theologian; scholar in religion.
2. a priest or member of the clergy.
3. the Divine, a. God.
b. (sometimes l.c.) the spiritual aspect of humans; the group of attributes and qualities of humankind regarded as godly or godlike.
—v.t. 1. to discover or declare (something obscure or in the future) by divination; prophesy.
2. to discover (water, metal, etc.) by means of a divining rod.
3. to perceive by intuition or insight; conjecture.
4. Archaic.to portend.
—v.i. 1. to use or practice divination; prophesy.
2. to have perception by intuition or insight; conjecture.