—n. 1. any thick liquid or pasty preparation, as a lubricant, used in preparing a surface.
2. an absorbent material used to absorb and hold a liquid, as in the manufacture of dynamite.
3. Aeron. a. any of various varnishlike products for coating a fabric, as of airplane wings, in order to make it waterproof, stronger, etc.
b. a similar product used to coat the fabric of a balloon to reduce gas leakage.
4. Slang. a. any narcotic or narcoticlike drug taken to induce euphoria or satisfy addiction.
b. any illicit drug.
5. Slang.a narcotic preparation given surreptitiously to a horse to improve or retard its performance in a race.
6. Slang.information, data, or news: What's the latest dope on the strike? 7. Informal.a stupid or unresponsive person.
8. Southern U.S.(chiefly South Atlantic States) soda pop, esp. cola-flavored.
9. North Central U.S.(chiefly Ohio). syrup used as a topping for ice cream.
—v.t. 1. Slang.to affect with dope or drugs.
2. to apply or treat with dope.
3. Electronics.to add or treat (a pure semiconductor) with a dopant.
—v.i. 1. Slang.to take drugs.
2. dope out,Slang. a. to figure out; calculate; devise: to dope out a plan. b. to deduce or infer from available information: to dope out a solution to a problem.