Pronunciation: (duv),[key] —n. 1. any bird of the family Columbidae, esp. the smaller species with pointed tails. Cf. pigeon (def. 1).
2. a pure white member of this species, used as a symbol of innocence, gentleness, tenderness, and peace.
3. (cap.) a symbol for the Holy Ghost.
4. an innocent, gentle, or tender person.
5. Also called peace dove. a person, esp. one in public office, who advocates peace or a conciliatory national attitude. Cf. hawk1 (def. 4).
6. See dove color. 7. (cap.) Astron.the constellation Columba.