Pronunciation: (drī'vur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that drives.
2. a person who drives a vehicle; coachman, chauffeur, etc.
3. a person who drives an animal or animals, as a drover or cowboy.
4. Also called number one wood.Golf.a club with a wooden head whose face has almost no slope, for hitting long, low drives from the tee.
5. Mach. a. a part that transmits force or motion.
b. the member of a pair of connected pulleys, gears, etc., that is nearer to the power source.
6. Computers.software or hardware that controls the interface between a computer and a peripheral device.
7. Railroads.See driving wheel (def. 2).
8. Brit.a locomotive engineer.
9. Audio. a. the part of a loudspeaker that transforms the electrical signal into sound.
b. the entire loudspeaker.
10. Naut. a. a jib-headed spanker sail.
b. a designation given to one of the masts abaft the mizzen on a sailing vessel having more than three masts, either the fifth or sixth from forward. Cf. pusher (def. 4), spanker (def. 1b).