Pronunciation: (duch),[key] —adj. 1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the natives or inhabitants of the Netherlands or their country or language.
2. pertaining to or designating the style of painting and subject matter developed in the Netherlands during the 17th century, chiefly characterized by the use of chiaroscuro, muted tones, naturalistic colors or forms, and of genre, landscape, or still-life subjects drawn from contemporary urban and rural life.
3. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the Pennsylvania Dutch.
4. Archaic.German; Teutonic.
5. go Dutch, to have each person pay his or her own expenses: a dinner where everyone goes Dutch.Also,go dutch.
—n. 1. the people of the Netherlands and their immediate descendants elsewhere, collectively.
2. See Pennsylvania Dutch. 3. Also called Netherlandic. the Germanic language of the Netherlands and northern Belgium. Abbr.: D Cf. Flemish. 4. Obs.the German language.
5. in Dutch, in trouble or disfavor (with someone): in Dutch with the teacher for disturbing the class.