—n. 1. a repetition of sound produced by the reflection of sound waves from a wall, mountain, or other obstructing surface.
2. a sound heard again near its source after being reflected.
3. any repetition or close imitation, as of the ideas or opinions of another.
4. a person who reflects or imitates another.
5. a sympathetic or identical response, as to sentiments expressed.
6. a lingering trace or effect.
7. (cap.) Class. Myth.a mountain nymph who pined away for love of the beautiful youth Narcissus until only her voice remained.
8. Cards.the play of a high card and then a low card in the suit led by one's partner as a signal to continue leading the suit, as in bridge, or to lead a trump, as in whist.
9. Electronics.the reflection of a radio wave, as in radar or the like.
10. (cap.) U.S. Aerospace.one of an early series of inflatable passive communications satellites.
11. a word used in communications to represent the letter E.
—v.i. 1. to emit an echo; resound with an echo: The hall echoed with cheers. 2. to be repeated by or as by an echo: Shouts echoed through the street.
—v.t. 1. to repeat by or as by an echo; emit an echo of: The hall echoes the faintest sounds. 2. to repeat or imitate the words, sentiments, etc., of (a person).
3. to repeat or imitate (words, sentiments, etc.).