Pronunciation: (eg),[key] —n. 1. the roundish reproductive body produced by the female of certain animals, as birds and most reptiles, consisting of an ovum and its envelope of albumen, jelly, membranes, egg case, or shell, according to species.
2. such a body produced by a domestic bird, esp. the hen.
3. the contents of an egg or eggs: raw egg; fried eggs. 4. anything resembling a hen's egg.
5. Also called egg cell. the female gamete; ovum.
6. Informal.person: He's a good egg. 7. Slang.an aerial bomb.
8. egg on one's face,Informal.humiliation or embarrassment resulting from having said or done something foolish or unwise: They were afraid to back the losing candidate and wind up with egg on their faces. 9. lay an egg,Informal.to fail wretchedly, esp. to be unsuccessful in front of an audience: He laid an egg as the romantic hero. 10. put all one's eggs in one basket, to venture all of something that one possesses in a single enterprise.
11. walk on eggs, to walk or act very cautiously.
—v.t. to prepare (food) by dipping in beaten egg.
Pronunciation: (eg),[key] —v.t. to incite or urge; encourage (usually fol. by on).