Pronunciation: (el"i-jī'uk, -ak, i-lē'jē-ak"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/elegiac.html on line 73 [key]
1. used in, suitable for, or resembling an elegy.
2. expressing sorrow or lamentation: elegiac strains.
3. Class. Pros.noting a distich the first line of which is a dactylic hexameter and the second a pentameter, or a verse differing from the hexameter by suppression of the arsis or metrically unaccented part of the third and the sixth foot.
1. an elegiac or distich verse.
2. a poem in such distichs or verses.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.