Pronunciation: (en'trē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/entry.html on line 71 [key]
1. an act of entering; entrance.
2. a place of ingress or entrance, esp. an entrance hall or vestibule.
3. permission or right to enter; access.
4. the act of entering or recording something in a book, register, list, etc.
5. the statement, item, etc., so entered or recorded.
6. a person or thing entered in a contest or competition.
7. See vocabulary entry.
8. Law.act of taking possession of lands or tenements by entering or setting foot on them.
9. the giving of an account of a ship's cargo at a custom house, to obtain permission to land the goods.
10. Accounting.the record of any transaction found in a bookkeeper's journal.
a. See double entry.
b. See single entry.
12. Mining.adit (def. 2).
13. Also called en'try card". Bridge.a winning card in one's hand or the hand of one's partner that gives the lead to one hand or the other.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.