Pronunciation: (ēr'os, er'os),[key] —n., —pl.E•ro•tesPronunciation: (u-rō'tēz)[key]for 2, 3. 1. the ancient Greek god of love, identified by the Romans with Cupid.
2. a representation of this god.
3. a winged figure of a child representing love or the power of love.
4. (sometimes l.c.) physical love; sexual desire. Cf. agape2 (def. 2).
5. Astron.an asteroid that approaches to within 14 million miles (22½ million km) of the earth once every 44 years.
6. Psychiatry. a. the libido.
b. instincts for self-preservation collectively.