Pronunciation: (i-stab'lish-munt),[key] —n. 1. the act or an instance of establishing.
2. the state or fact of being established.
3. something established; a constituted order or system.
4. (often cap.) the existing power structure in society; the dominant groups in society and their customs or institutions; institutional authority (usually prec. by the): The Establishment believes exploring outer space is worth any tax money spent. 5. (often cap.) the dominant group in a field of endeavor, organization, etc. (usually prec. by the): the literary Establishment. 6. a household; place of residence including its furnishings, grounds, etc.
7. a place of business together with its employees, merchandise, equipment, etc.
8. a permanent civil, military, or other force or organization.
9. an institution, as a school, hospital, etc.
10. the recognition by a state of a church as the state church.
11. the church so recognized, esp. the Church of England.
12. Archaic.a fixed or settled income.