—n. 1. imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained.
2. the forming of mental images, esp. wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualizing.
3. a mental image, esp. when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy. 4. Psychol.an imagined or conjured up sequence fulfilling a psychological need; daydream.
5. a hallucination.
6. a supposition based on no solid foundation; visionary idea; illusion: dreams of Utopias and similar fantasies. 7. caprice; whim.
8. an ingenious or fanciful thought, design, or invention.
9. Also,fantasia.Literature.an imaginative or fanciful work, esp. one dealing with supernatural or unnatural events or characters: The stories of Poe are fantasies of horror. 10. Music.fantasia (def. 1).
—v.t., v.i. 1. to form mental images; imagine; fantasize.
2. Rare.to write or play fantasias. Also,phantasy.