Pronunciation: (fär'mur),[key] —n. 1. a person who farms; person who operates a farm or cultivates land.
2. an unsophisticated person from a rural area; yokel.
3. a person who undertakes some service, as the care of children or the poor, at a fixed price.
4. a person who undertakes the collection of taxes, duties, etc., paying a fixed sum for the privilege of retaining them.
5. Cards. a. a variety of twenty-one played with a 45-card pack, the object being to obtain cards having a total worth of 16.
b. the dealer in this game.
Pronunciation: (fär'mur),[key] —n. 1. Fannie (Mer•ritt) Pronunciation: (mer'it),[key] 1857–1915, U.S. authority on cooking.
2. James (Leonard), 1920-1999, U.S. civil-rights leader.