Pronunciation: (fen'dur),[key] —n. 1. the pressed and formed sheet-metal part mounted over the road wheels of an automobile, bicycle, etc., to reduce the splashing of mud, water, and the like.
2. a device on the front of a locomotive, streetcar, or the like, for clearing the track of obstructions.
3. a mudguard or splashboard on a horse-drawn vehicle.
4. Naut.a piece of timber, bundle of rope, or the like, hung over the side of a vessel to lessen shock or prevent chafing, as between the vessel and a dock or another vessel.
5. a low metal guard before an open fireplace, to keep back falling coals.
6. a person or thing that wards something off.