Pronunciation: (flī'ur),[key] —n. 1. something that flies, as a bird or insect.
2. an aviator or pilot.
3. an airplane passenger, esp. one who travels regularly by air.
4. a person or thing that moves with great speed.
5. some part of a machine having a rapid motion.
6. a small handbill; circular.
7. Informal.a flying jump or leap: He took a flier off the bridge. 8. Informal.a risky or speculative venture: Our flier in uranium stocks was a disaster. 9. one of the steps in a straight flight of stairs. Cf. winder (def. 2).
10. a trapeze artist; aerialist.
11. a silvery-green sunfish, Centrarchus macropterus, found from Virginia to Florida and through the lower Mississippi valley. Also,flyer.