Pronunciation: (flOOt), [key]
n., v., flut•ed, flut•ing.

1. a musical wind instrument consisting of a tube with a series of fingerholes or keys, in which the wind is directed against a sharp edge, either directly, as in the modern transverse flute, or through a flue, as in the recorder.
2. an organ stop with wide flue pipes, having a flutelike tone.
3. Archit., Furniture.a channel, groove, or furrow, as on the shaft of a column. See diag. under column.
4. any groove or furrow, as in a ruffle of cloth or on a piecrust.
5. one of the helical grooves of a twist drill.
6. a slender, footed wineglass of the 17th century, having a tall, conical bowl.
7. a similar stemmed glass, used esp. for champagne.

1. to produce flutelike sounds.
2. to play on a flute.
3. (of a metal strip or sheet) to kink or break in bending.

1. to utter in flutelike tones.
2. to form longitudinal flutes or furrows in: to flute a piecrust.

Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.

See also:

Related Content


Play Hangman

Play Poptropica

Play Same Game

Try Our Math Flashcards