Pronunciation: (foot'ing),[key] —n. 1. the basis or foundation on which anything is established.
2. the act of one who moves on foot, as in walking or dancing.
3. a secure and established position.
4. a place or support for the feet; surface to stand on; foothold.
5. a firm placing of the feet; stability: He regained his footing. 6. Building Trades,Civ. Engin.the part of a foundation bearing directly upon the earth.
7. position or status assigned to a person, group, etc., in estimation or treatment.
8. mutual standing; reciprocal relation: to be on a friendly footing with someone. 9. entrance into a new position or relationship: to gain a footing in society. 10. a fee demanded from a person upon entrance into a trade, society, etc.
11. the act of adding a foot to something, as to a stocking.
12. that which is added as a foot.
13. the act of adding up a column of figures.
14. the total of such a column.