Pronunciation: (fôr'fit),[key] —n. 1. a fine; penalty.
2. an act of forfeiting; forfeiture.
3. something to which the right is lost, as for commission of a crime or misdeed, neglect of duty, or violation of a contract.
4. an article deposited in a game because of a mistake and redeemable by a fine or penalty.
5. forfeits,(used with a sing. v.) a game in which such articles are taken from the players.
—v.t. 1. to subject to seizure as a forfeit.
2. to lose or become liable to lose, as in consequence of crime, fault, or breach of engagement.