Pronunciation: (fôr-mal'i-tē),[key] —n., —pl.-ties. 1. condition or quality of being formal; accordance with required or traditional rules, procedures, etc.; conventionality.
2. rigorously methodical character.
3. strict adherence to established rules and procedures; rigidity.
4. observance of form or ceremony.
5. marked or excessive ceremoniousness.
6. an established order or method of proceeding: the formalities of judicial process. 7. a formal act or observance.
8. something done merely or mainly for form's sake; a requirement of custom or etiquette: the formality of a thank-you note.