—adj. 1. newly made or obtained: fresh footprints. 2. recently arrived; just come: fresh from school. 3. new; not previously known, met with, etc.; novel: to uncover fresh facts; to seek fresh experiences. 4. additional or further: fresh supplies. 5. not salty, as water.
6. retaining the original properties unimpaired; not stale or spoiled: Is the milk still fresh? 7. not preserved by freezing, canning, pickling, salting, drying, etc.: fresh vegetables. 8. not tired or fatigued; brisk; vigorous: She was still fresh after that long walk. 9. not faded, worn, obliterated, etc.: fresh paint; a fresh appearance. 10. looking youthful and healthy: a fresh beauty that we all admired. 11. pure, cool, or refreshing, as air.
12. denoting a young wine, esp. a white or rosé, that is clean, crisp, and uncomplicated.
13. Meteorol.(of wind) moderately strong or brisk.
14. inexperienced; green; callow: Two hundred fresh recruits arrived at the training camp. 15. Informal.forward or presumptuous.
16. (of a cow) having recently given birth to a calf.
17. Slang. a. great; marvelous.
b. informed; up-to-date.
—n. 1. the fresh part or time.
2. a freshet.
—v.t., v.i. to make or become fresh.
—adv. newly; recently; just now: He is fresh out of ideas. The eggs are fresh laid.