Pronunciation: (frunt),[key] —n. 1. the foremost part or surface of anything.
2. the part or side of anything that faces forward: the front of a jacket. 3. the part or side of anything, as a building, that seems to look out or to be directed forward: He sat in the front of the restaurant. 4. any side or face, as of a building.
5. a façade, considered with respect to its architectural treatment or material: a cast-iron front. 6. a property line along a street or the like: a fifty-foot front. 7. a place or position directly before anything: We decided to plant trees in the front. 8. a position of leadership in a particular endeavor or field: She rose to the front of her profession. 9. Mil. a. the foremost line or part of an army.
b. a line of battle.
c. the place where combat operations are carried on.
10. an area of activity, conflict, or competition: news from the business front. 11. land facing a road, river, etc.
12. Brit.a promenade along a seashore.
13. Informal.a distinguished person listed as an official of an organization, for the sake of prestige, and who is usually inactive.
14. a person or thing that serves as a cover or disguise for some other activity, esp. one of a secret, disreputable, or illegal nature; a blind: The store was a front for foreign agents. 15. outward impression of rank, position, or wealth.
16. bearing or demeanor in confronting anything: a calm front. 17. haughtiness; self-importance: That clerk has the most outrageous front. 18. the forehead, or the entire face: the statue's gracefully chiseled front. 19. a coalition or movement to achieve a particular end, usually political: the people's front. 20. something attached or worn at the breast, as a shirt front or a dickey: to spill gravy down one's front. 21. Meteorol.an interface or zone of transition between two dissimilar air masses.
22. Theat. a. the auditorium.
b. the business offices of a theater.
c. the front of the stage; downstage.
23. in front, in a forward place or position: Sit down, you in front! 24. in front of, a. ahead of: to walk in front of a moving crowd. b. outside the entrance of: to wait in front of a house. c. in the presence of: to behave badly in front of company. 25. out front, a. outside the entrance: He's waiting out front. b. ahead of competitors: This advertising campaign ought to put our business way out front. c. Theat.in the audience or auditorium.
d. Informal.candidly; frankly: Say what you mean out front. 26. up front,Informal. a. in advance; before anything else: You'll have to make a payment of $5,000 up front. b. frank; open; direct: I want you to be up front with me.
—adj. 1. of or pertaining to the front.
2. situated in or at the front: front seats. 3. Phonet.(of a speech sound) articulated with the tongue blade relatively far forward in the mouth, as the sounds of lay.
—v.t. 1. to have the front toward; face: Our house fronts the lake. 2. to meet face to face; confront.
3. to face in opposition, hostility, or defiance.
4. to furnish or supply a front to: to front a building with sandstone. 5. to serve as a front to: A long, sloping lawn fronted their house. 6. Informal.to provide an introduction to; introduce: a recorded message that is fronted with a singing commercial. 7. to lead (a jazz or dance band).
8. Phonet.to articulate (a speech sound) at a position farther front in the mouth.
9. Ling.to move (a constituent) to the beginning of a clause or sentence.
—v.i. 1. to have or turn the front in some specified direction: Our house fronts on the lake. 2. to serve as a cover or disguise for another activity, esp. something of a disreputable or illegal nature: The shop fronts for a narcotics ring.
—interj. (used to call or command someone to come, look, etc., to the front, as in an order to troops on parade or in calling a hotel bellboy to the front desk): Front and center, on the double!