Pronunciation: ( —n.gang'wā"; —interj.gang'wā'),[key] —n. 1. a passageway, esp. a narrow walkway.
2. Naut. a. an opening in the railing or bulwark of a ship, as that into which a gangplank fits.
c. an area of the weather deck of a ship, between the side and a deckhouse.
d. See accommodation ladder. 3. Railroads. a. the space between the cab of a steam locomotive and its tender.
b. the side entrance of a diesel or electric locomotive.
4. Brit. a. an aisle in a theater, restaurant, etc.
b. an aisle in the House of Commons separating the more influential members of the political parties from the younger, less influential members.
c. a runway in a theater.
5. a temporary path of planks, as at a building site.
6. Mining.a main passage or level.
7. Also calledlogway. the ramp up which logs are moved into a sawmill.