Pronunciation: (gärd'nur),[key] —n. 1. Erle Stanley Pronunciation: (ûrl),[key] 1889–1970, U.S. writer of detective stories.
2. Dame Helen (Louise), 1908–86, British educator and literary critic.
3. John (Champ•lin, Jr.) Pronunciation: (champ'lin),[key] 1933–82, U.S. novelist and critic.
4. John W(illiam), 1912-2002, U.S. educator and author: Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare 1965–68.
5. a city in N Massachusetts. 17,900.
6. a male given name: from an Old French word meaning “gardener.”