Pronunciation: ( jen'tl-mun),[key] —n., —pl.-men. 1. a man of good family, breeding, or social position.
2. (used as a polite term) a man: Do you know that gentleman over there? 3. gentlemen,(used as a form of address): Gentlemen, please come this way. 4. a civilized, educated, sensitive, or well-mannered man: He behaved like a true gentleman. 5. a male personal servant, esp. of a man of social position; valet.
6. a male attendant upon a king, queen, or other royal person, who is himself of high birth or rank.
7. a man of good social standing, as a noble or an armigerous commoner.
8. a man with an independent income who does not work for a living.
9. a male member of the U.S. Senate or House of Representatives: The chair recognizes the gentleman from Massachusetts. 10. Hist.a man who is above the rank of yeoman.