Pronunciation: ( jûr'mun),[key] —adj. 1. having the same father and mother, as a full brother or sister (usually used in combination): a brother-german. 2. born of the brother or sister of one's father or mother, as a first cousin (usually used in combination): a cousin-german. 3. Archaic.germane.
Pronunciation: ( jûr'mun),[key] —adj. of or pertaining to Germany, its inhabitants, or their language.
—n. 1. a native or inhabitant of Germany.
2. a descendant of a native of Germany.
3. Also called High German. an Indo-European language that is based on a High German dialect, is official in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, and is also widely used as an international language for scholarship and science. Abbr.: G, G.
4. Ling.any variety of West Germanic speech native to Germany, Austria, or Switzerland.
5. (usually l.c.) an elaborate social dance resembling a cotillion.
6. (l.c.) New England and South Atlantic States. a dancing party featuring the german.