Pronunciation: (glos, glôs),[key] —n. 1. a superficial luster or shine; glaze: the gloss of satin. 2. a false or deceptively good appearance.
3. Also,glosser.a cosmetic that adds sheen or luster, esp. one for the lips.
—v.t. 1. to put a gloss upon.
2. to give a false or deceptively good appearance to: to gloss over flaws in the woodwork.
Pronunciation: (glos, glôs),[key] —n. 1. an explanation or translation, by means of a marginal or interlinear note, of a technical or unusual expression in a manuscript text.
2. a series of verbal interpretations of a text.
3. a glossary.
4. an artfully misleading interpretation.
—v.t. 1. to insert glosses on; annotate.
2. to place (a word) in a gloss.
3. to give a specious interpretation of; explain away (often fol. by over or away): to gloss over a serious problem with a pat solution.