Pronunciation: (guv'ur-nur, -u-nur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/governor.html on line 79 [key]
1. the executive head of a state in the U.S.
2. a person charged with the direction or control of an institution, society, etc.: the governors of a bank; the governor of a prison.
3. Also called governor general. the representative of the crown, as in the Commonwealth of Nations.
4. a ruler or chief magistrate appointed to govern a province, town, fort, or the like.
5. Mach.a device for maintaining uniform speed regardless of changes of load, as by regulating the supply of fuel or working fluid.
6. Brit. Informal.
a. one's father.
b. one's employer.
c. any man of superior rank or status.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.