—n. 1. a member of a nomadic, Caucasoid people of generally swarthy complexion, who migrated originally from India, settling in various parts of Asia, Europe, and, most recently, North America.
2. Romany; the language of the Gypsies.
3. (l.c.) a person held to resemble a gypsy, esp. in physical characteristics or in a traditionally ascribed freedom or inclination to move from place to place.
4. (l.c.) Informal.See gypsy cab. 5. (l.c.) Informal.an independent, usually nonunion trucker, hauler, operator, etc.
6. (l.c.) Slang.a chorus dancer, esp. in the Broadway theater.
7. (l.c.) gyp1 (def. 4).
—adj. 1. of or pertaining to the Gypsies.
2. (l.c.) Informal.working independently or without a license: gypsy truckers.Also,esp. Brit.,Gipsy,gipsy.