Pronunciation: (hed'ing),[key] —n. 1. something that serves as a head, top, or front.
2. a title or caption of a page, chapter, etc.
3. a section of the subject of a discourse; a main division of a topic or theme.
4. the compass direction toward which a traveler or vehicle is or should be moving; course.
5. an active underground mining excavation in the earth, as a drift or raise being or about to be driven.
6. Aeron.the angle between the axis from front to rear of an aircraft and some reference line, as magnetic north.