—n.Also called head. 1. a heading in a newspaper for any written material, sometimes for an illustration, to indicate subject matter, set in larger type than that of the copy and containing one or more words and lines and often several banks.
2. the largest such heading on the front page, usually at the top.
3. the line at the top of a page, containing the title, pagination, etc.
—v.t. 1. to furnish with a headline; head.
2. to mention or name in a headline.
3. to publicize, feature, or star (a specific performer, product, etc.).
4. to be the star of (a show, nightclub act, etc.)