Pronunciation: (hev'ē-wāt"),[key] —adj. 1. heavy in weight.
2. of more than average weight or thickness: a coat of heavyweight material. 3. noting or pertaining to a boxer, wrestler, etc., of the heaviest competitive class, esp. a professional boxer weighing more than 175 lb. (79.4 kg).
4. of or pertaining to the weight class or division of such boxers: a heavyweight bout. 5. (of a riding horse, esp. a hunter) able to carry up to 205 lb. (93 kg).
6. designating a person, company, nation, or other entity that is extremely powerful, influential, or important: a team of heavyweight lawyers.
—n. 1. a person of more than average weight.
2. a heavyweight boxer or wrestler.
3. a person, company, nation, or other entity that is powerful and influential: a price hike initiated by the heavyweights in the industry.