—n. 1. a jointed device or flexible piece on which a door, gate, shutter, lid, or other attached part turns, swings, or moves.
2. a natural anatomical joint at which motion occurs around a transverse axis, as that of the knee or a bivalve shell.
3. that on which something is based or depends; pivotal consideration or factor.
4. Also called mount.Philately.a gummed sticker for affixing a stamp to a page of an album, so folded as to form a hinge, allowing the stamp to be raised to reveal the text beneath.
—v.i. to be dependent or contingent on, or as if on, a hinge (usually fol. by on or upon): Everything hinges on his decision.
—v.t. 1. to furnish with or attach by a hinge or hinges.
2. to attach as if by a hinge.
3. to make or consider as dependent upon; predicate: He hinged his action on future sales.