Pronunciation: (hōl'ding),[key] —n. 1. the act of a person or thing that holds.
2. a section of land leased or otherwise tenanted, esp. for agricultural purposes.
3. a company owned by a holding company.
4. Often, holdings. legally owned property, esp. stocks, bonds, or real estate.
5. holdings,Library Science.the entire collection of books, periodicals, and other materials in a library.
6. Sports.the illegal obstruction of an opponent, as in football, basketball, or ice hockey, by use of the hands, arms, or stick.