Pronunciation: (hou'zing),[key] —n. 1. any shelter, lodging, or dwelling place.
2. houses collectively.
3. the act of one who houses or puts under shelter.
4. the providing of houses for a group or community: the housing of an influx of laborers. 5. anything that covers or protects.
6. Mach.a fully enclosed case and support for a mechanism.
7. Carpentry.the space made in one piece of wood, or the like, for the insertion of another.
8. Naut. a. Also called bury. the portion of a mast below the deck.
b. Also called bury. the portion of a bowsprit aft of the forward part of the stem of a vessel.
c. the doubling of an upper mast.
9. a niche for a statue.
Pronunciation: (hou'zing),[key] —n. 1. a covering of cloth for the back and flanks of a horse or other animal, for protection or ornament.
2. housings.the trappings on a horse.