Pronunciation: (houl),[key] —v.i. 1. to utter a loud, prolonged, mournful cry, as that of a dog or wolf.
2. to utter a similar cry in distress, pain, rage, etc.; wail.
3. to make a sound like an animal howling: The wind howls through the trees. 4. Informal.to go on a spree; enjoy oneself without restraint.
—v.t. 1. to utter with howls: to howl the bad news. 2. to drive or force by howls (often fol. by down): to howl down the opposition.
—n. 1. the cry of a dog, wolf, etc.
2. a cry or wail, as of pain, rage, or protest.
3. a sound like wailing: the howl of the wind. 4. a loud, scornful laugh or yell.
5. something that causes a laugh or a scornful yell, as a joke or funny or embarrassing situation.