Pronunciation: (īd'l), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/idyll.html on line 71 [key]
1. a poem or prose composition, usually describing pastoral scenes or events or any charmingly simple episode, appealing incident, or the like.
2. a simple descriptive or narrative piece in verse or prose.
3. material suitable for such a work.
4. an episode or scene of idyllic charm.
5. a brief or inconsequential romantic affair.
6. Music.a composition, usually instrumental, of a pastoral or sentimental character. Also,i'dyl.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.