Pronunciation: (im"pu-zish'un),[key] —n. 1. the laying on of something as a burden or obligation.
2. something imposed, as a burden or duty; an unusual or extraordinarily burdensome requirement or task.
3. the act of imposing by or as if by authority.
4. an instance of imposing upon a person: He did the favor but considered the request an imposition. 5. the act of imposing fraudulently or deceptively on others; imposture.
6. the ceremonial laying on of hands, as in confirmation or ordination.
7. Print.the arrangement of page plates in proper order on a press for printing a signature.
8. the act of putting, placing, or laying on.