Pronunciation: ( —n.im'print; —v.im-print'),[key] —n. 1. a mark made by pressure; a mark or figure impressed or printed on something.
2. any impression or impressed effect: He left the imprint of his thought on all succeeding scholars. 3. Bibliog. a. the name of a book's publisher printed on the title page or elsewhere, usually with the place and date of publication.
b. the statement of such information in a bibliographic description of a printed work.
c. a name, title, or other designation by which all or certain specific books of a publisher are identified.
4. any marketing name used by a company or organization for a product line; brand or label.
5. the printer's name and address as indicated on any printed matter.
—v.t. 1. to impress (a quality, character, distinguishing mark, etc.).
2. to produce (a mark) on something by pressure.
3. to bestow, as a kiss.
4. to fix firmly on the mind, memory, etc.
5. Animal Behav.,Psychol.to acquire or establish by imprinting.
6. to make an imprint upon.