—n. 1. a deed or agreement executed in two or more copies with edges correspondingly indented as a means of identification.
2. any deed, written contract, or sealed agreement.
3. a contract by which a person, as an apprentice, is bound to service.
4. any official or formal list, certificate, etc., authenticated for use as a voucher or the like.
5. the formal agreement between a group of bondholders and the debtor as to the terms of the debt.
—v.t. 1. to bind by indenture, as an apprentice.
2. Archaic.to make a depression in; indent; wrinkle; furrow.