Pronunciation: (in"i-kwol'i-tē),[key] —n., —pl.-ties. 1. the condition of being unequal; lack of equality; disparity: inequality of size. 2. social disparity: inequality between the rich and the poor. 3. disparity or relative inadequacy in natural endowments: a startling inequality of intellect, talents, and physical stamina. 4. injustice; partiality.
5. unevenness, as of surface.
6. an instance of unevenness.
7. variableness, as of climate.
8. Astron. a. any component part of the departure from uniformity in astronomical phenomena, esp. in orbital motion.
b. the amount of such a departure.
9. Math.a statement that two quantities are unequal, indicated by the symbol &nE;; alternatively, by the symbol < , signifying that the quantity preceding the symbol is less than that following, or by the symbol >, signifying that the quantity preceding the symbol is greater than that following.