Pronunciation: (in'poot"),[key] —n., adj., v.,-put•ted or -put, -put•ting.
—n. 1. something that is put in.
2. the act or process of putting in.
3. the power or energy supplied to a machine.
4. the current or voltage applied to an electric or electronic circuit or device. Cf. output (def. 4).
5. Computers. a. data to be entered into a computer for processing.
b. the process of introducing data into the internal storage of a computer.
6. contribution of information, ideas, opinions, or the like: Before making a decision we need your input. 7. the available data for solving a technical problem.
8. Scot.a monetary contribution, as to charity.
—adj. of or pertaining to data or equipment used for input: The keyboard is my computer's main input device.
—v.t. 1. Computers.to enter (data) into a computer for processing.
2. to contribute (ideas, information, or suggestions) to a project, discussion, etc.