Pronunciation: (in-skrip'shun),[key] —n. 1. something inscribed.
2. a historical, religious, or other record cut, impressed, painted, or written on stone, brick, metal, or other hard surface.
3. a brief, usually informal dedication, as of a book or a work of art.
4. a note, as a dedication, that is written and signed by hand in a book.
5. the act of inscribing.
6. Pharm.the part of a prescription indicating the drugs and the amounts to be mixed.
7. Brit. a. an issue of securities or stocks.
b. a block of shares in a stock, as bought or sold by one person.
8. Also called legend.Numis.the lettering in the field of a coin, medal, etc.