Pronunciation: (in"spu-rā'shun),[key] —n. 1. an inspiring or animating action or influence: I cannot write poetry without inspiration. 2. something inspired, as an idea.
3. a result of inspired activity.
4. a thing or person that inspires.
5. Theol. a. a divine influence directly and immediately exerted upon the mind or soul.
b. the divine quality of the writings or words of a person so influenced.
6. the drawing of air into the lungs; inhalation.
7. the act of inspiring; quality or state of being inspired.