—n. 1. a complete listing of merchandise or stock on hand, work in progress, raw materials, finished goods on hand, etc., made each year by a business concern.
2. the objects or items represented on such a list, as a merchant's stock of goods.
3. the aggregate value of a stock of goods.
4. raw material from the time of its receipt at an industrial plant for manufacturing purposes to the time it is sold.
5. a detailed, often descriptive, list of articles, giving the code number, quantity, and value of each; catalog.
6. a formal list of movables, as of a merchant's stock of goods.
7. a formal list of the property of a person or estate.
8. a tally of one's personality traits, aptitudes, skills, etc., for use in counseling and guidance.
9. a catalog of natural resources, esp. a count or estimate of wildlife and game in a particular area.
10. the act of making a catalog or detailed listing.
—v.t. 1. to make an inventory of; enter in an inventory; catalog.
2. to take stock of; evaluate: to inventory one's life and accomplishments. 3. to summarize: to inventory the progress in chemistry. 4. to keep an available supply of (merchandise); stock.
—v.i. to have value as shown by an inventory: stock that inventories at two million dollars.