Pronunciation: ( jOO'ul),[key] —n., v.,-eled, -el•ing or (esp. Brit.)-elled, -el•ling.
—n. 1. a cut and polished precious stone; gem.
2. a fashioned ornament for personal adornment, esp. of a precious metal set with gems.
3. a precious possession.
4. a person or thing that is treasured, esteemed, or indispensable.
5. a durable bearing used in fine timepieces and other delicate instruments, made of natural or synthetic precious stone or other very hard material.
6. an ornamental boss of glass, sometimes cut with facets, in stained-glass work.
7. something resembling a jewel in appearance, ornamental effect, or the like, as a star.
—v.t. to set or adorn with jewels.
Pronunciation: ( jOO'ul),[key] —n. a female given name.