—n. 1. Mach.a plate, box, or open frame for holding work and for guiding a machine tool to the work, used esp. for locating and spacing drilled holes; fixture.
2. Angling.any of several devices or lures, esp. a hook or gang of hooks weighted with metal and dressed with hair, feathers, etc., for jerking up and down in or drawing through the water to attract fish.
3. Mining.an apparatus for washing coal or separating ore from gangue by shaking and washing.
4. a cloth-dyeing machine in which the material, guided by rollers, is passed at full width through a dye solution in an open vat.
—n. 1. a rapid, lively, springy, irregular dance for one or more persons, usually in triple meter.
2. a piece of music for or in the rhythm of such a dance.
3. Obs.prank; trick.
4. the jig is up,Slang.it is hopeless; no chance remains: When the burglar heard the police siren, he knew the jig was up.
—v.t. 1. to dance (a jig or any lively dance).
2. to sing or play in the time or rhythm of a jig: to jig a tune. 3. to move with a jerky or bobbing motion; jerk up and down or to and fro.
—v.i. 1. to dance or play a jig.
2. to move with a quick, jerky motion; hop; bob.
—adj. in jig time,Informal.with dispatch; rapidly: We sorted the mail in jig time.
Pronunciation: ( jig),[key] —n. (formerly used in communications to represent the letter J.)
Pronunciation: ( jig),[key] —n.Slang(disparaging and offensive).
a black person.